This Swedish Meatball recipe is definitely drool worthy, heavenly, and a fantastic show-stopping dinner. These next level Swedish Meatballs are made from scratch in a creamy, rich sauce that will place you in gastric bliss!! Serve them over mashed potatoes, rice, or egg noodles. Add a side of cranberry relish and some green beans and you have one incredible meal. But, “True Swedish Meatballs” are not served with any type of gravy or sauce. Gravy/Sauce is an American thing!! However you decide to cook and serve your Swedish Meatballs, this recipe will be the BEST you have ever made. They are simply perfection!! A quick and easy weeknight dinner that is fantastically brilliant!!
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
3 shallots diced
1/2 cup parsley chopped
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/2 pint heavy cream
2 eggs beaten
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Chardonnay (use your favorite, nothing fancy)
2 cups beef stock
1/3 cup sour cream
Soy sauce to taste
1. In a large bowl, add the ground beef and ground pork along with the diced shallots, 1/2 cup chopped parsley, 1 cup Italian bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon Allspice, 1/4 cup heavy cream, 2 eggs beaten, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix very well. Use your hands.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a heavy pan over medium heat.
3. Using a 2 tablespoon cookie/ice cream scoop, make meat mixture into round meatballs. Cook the meatballs until they are brown on all sides. Meat needs to be cooked thoroughly. No pink!!
4. Set the meatballs aside. Using the same pan, add 4 tablespoons unsalted butter and melt. Add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and mix thoroughly. Add 1 cup chardonnay, 2 cups of beef stock/broth, and 1/4 teaspoon of Allspice. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
5. Add 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/3 cup sour cream, and soy sauce to taste (I use one tablespoon). If gravy is not thick, pour some into a bowl, add a few more tablespoons of flour, whisk, and add back to the pan. Cook for a few minutes. Add the meatballs and cook for 5 minutes or more.
6. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or egg noodles. I love these meatballs and gravy over mashed potatoes, a side of cranberry relish, and steamed green beans. A beet salad and pickled cucumber go nicely with the Swedish Meatballs.
*NOTE: True Swedish Meatballs (no gravy) are served with mashed potatoes, a tart Lingonberry jam, and pickled cucumber. I used to love stopping at Ikea just for their Swedish Meatballs, that is, until I found this recipe. This recipe simply makes the BEST Swedish Meatballs!!
Cheers, Drew Frederic