These Lemon Brownies are a huge step up from lemon bars. They are moist, dense, fudgy, and full of tart & tangy lemon flavor. It is the new go-to dessert in my home!! Lemon Brownies are an incredible mix between chocolate brownies and zesty lemon bars. If you love a great lemon dessert, then you will find these Lemon Brownies absolutely brilliant!!
3 lemons (you need 6 tablespoons of lemon juice)
1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
3 tablespoons lemon zest (zest all three lemons)
4 ounce bar of white chocolate (baking)
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 eggs (room temperature)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup powdered sugar (confectionary sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Chop up the white chocolate bar and place in a microwaveable bowl with the butter and melt. Do this in 30 second intervals, stirring at each interval until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, combine 3 tablespoons lemon zest and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Use your fingers to pinch the sugar and zest together. You doing this to get the sugar to release the oils in the lemon zest. Just squeeze and move around in the bowl with your fingers.
4. Add the melted butter and white chocolate to the sugar and zest. Mix until smooth.
5. Add the 3 eggs and stir gently until smooth.
6. Add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and stir gently until smooth.
7. Using a sifter, add your 2 1/4 cups of flour and salt to the mixture. Do a little at a time and fold in gently. Do not stir or whisk. FOLD until all flour is incorporated. Be gentle and take your time.
8. Pour into an 8 x 8 greased dish and bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until slightly golden brown and a knife comes out clean.
9. Let the brownies cool a bit.
10. In a medium sized bowl, add the 1 cup of powdered sugar and the 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. Mix well. No clumps.
11. Once brownies have cooled, pour the lemon glaze over the brownies (smooth the glaze around) and let them set for about 10 minutes before cutting.
12. Bonus, use more lemon zest on top of the glaze.
*NOTE: Be careful when melting the butter and white chocolate. Go easy and slow. If not comfortable with melting in a microwave, use a double boiler or use a glass bowl over a pot of hot water that is simmering. It is important to fold the flour into the batter when adding.
These Lemon Brownies are just absolutely brilliant!!! You will love love love these!! Cheers, Drew Frederic