I have decided to join the countless number of people on the planet by switching to a diet full of fiber, rich in vitamins and minerals, free of cholesterol, and low in calories and saturated fat. A plant based diet is a powerful way to achieve this. I have been told to gently wean myself off the animal based foods and as I was picking blueberries this morning, I thought what a good way to start with some healthy muffins!! My very first recipe is this one for blueberry muffins. It is very moist, loaded with blueberries, easy to make, and very healthy.
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup pure cane or turbinado sugar
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (carton and not canned) or almond milk (any non-dairy milk is fine)
1/3 cup avocado oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 to 2 cups blueberries
1. Mix all wet ingredients together. Stir to combine and soften the large grains of sugar.
3. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and mix until combined. Do not over mix.
5. Add the blueberries and gently fold them into the batter.
6. Chill the muffin batter in the fridge for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Fill each muffin-lined hole with batter. Fill to the top of the muffin liner.
8. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool a few minutes and enjoy warm.
*NOTE: Muffins will last on the counter for around 3-4 days. They can be frozen but let cool completely before freezing. Instead of 1 cup of plant based milk, substitute with 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup of coconut milk (a favorite). If your blueberries are too large, try smashing some before adding to batter. You can also use a mix of whole wheat flour and all purpose flour for a slightly darker muffin.
Cheers, Drew Frederic