Chinese Chili Oil also known as Red Oil is one of those condiments that is extremely versatile and adds a zing to your everyday cooking. Chinese Chili Oil is a very aromatic oil with a mild level of heat making it perfect for dumplings, noodles, rice, eggs, home fries, and more. I keep a jar in my pantry at all times. It’ll last forever and makes for a great gift. It is very quick and easy to make. Once you try, it will be a counter mainstay for you!!!
4 tablespoons red pepper powder
2 tablespoons toasted white sesame seeds
1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
1 star anise
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 cup grapeseed oil
1 small piece ginger
1. Crush peppercorns in a pestle and then add this and the rest of the dry ingredients to a pint size Mason jar.
2. Add sesame oil to the jar.
3. Heat Grapeseed oil over medium high heat for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Place ginger in oil and then remove once it is golden brown.
5. Carefully pour oil into jar.
6. Let flavors infuse with no lid. Once the jar has cooled, seal and let it stand for around 12 hours before using.
*NOTE: Because of the high fat content, this has a very long shelf life. Store in a pantry, on the kitchen counter, or on the dining room table. Just keep out of direct sunlight. I store mine on the counter and in a small jar on the table for easy access. I use it to cook with and as a condiment on cooked food. This is a great staple to have on hand!
Cheers, Drew Frederic