This is a very easy and healthy breakfast bar and snack!! Takes about 15 minutes to prep and about 22 minutes of cook time. Fast to make and a heckuva’ lot cheaper. More delicious and made with real ingredients.
2 medium bananas mashed (the older the better)
1/4 of your favorite cooking oil
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup all purpose flour or whole wheat flour or oat flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup of diced apples
1/4 cup white chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips (optional)
1 tablespoon peanut butter (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350o F. Grease and 8×8 or 9×9 inch pan. You can opt out of greasing the pan by lining it with parchment paper.
2. Place bananas in a large bowl and mash. Stir in oil and brown sugar. Mix well. Add egg, vanilla, and salt. Mix till all combined. Stir in baking soda. Add flour, oats and diced apple stir until mixed. Spread out in your prepared pan.
3. Bake for 18-22 minutes until browned around the edges and not jiggly in the center. Cool completely. Slice into bars.
4. Optional drizzle: melt white chocolate chips an peanut butter over low heat or in a microwave. If using a microwave, takes about 30 seconds. Use a bread knife to drizzle with or place in a plastic baggie and snip a corner to act as a pastry bag. Drizzle over the bars.
5. These freeze very well and can be reheated.
*NOTE: You can substitute butter for the oil. I find old fashioned oats hold up better vs. quick oats. You should be able to get about 9 bars from a pan and each bar is around 150cal; 20g of carbs; 7g of fat; and around 3g of protein.
Cheers and enjoy, Drew Frederic